Thursday, April 21, 2005

Upon those yellow bracelets

I have family members who have lost their lives to cancer, and have friends who have lost loved ones to cancer as well. I fully support cancer research, and the search for a cure. I believe that getting the word out, and getting funding for prevention is a great cause. However, I have to admit that I find those yellow LIVESTRONG bracelets very annoying. I am cautious about expressing my feelings on this issue, as I do not want to be labled insensitive...etc. However, I feel that this is a trendy little thing to do, and it is hiding its trendiness under the guise of a good cause. I would venture to say that buying and wearing the bracelet is as far as 75-80% of these people go in the fight against cancer. I dont suppose to know everyone's family history, or whether they have someone in their lives affected by cancer, but it just strikes me as so much show. I had a similar problem with the little American flags, or the "We Support Our Troops" bumper stickers. Again, the underlying causes are things which I am firmly behind, but when it becomes only about the show of support rather than support itself, that bothers me. I know the money is in the general sense "going to the troops", and "going to fight cancer", but it still strikes me as hollow. I feel a bit like George Carlin here, but the yellow bracelets that I saw on the train this morning got me thinking this way. Now I see pink, white and green bracelets popping up, which furthers my belief that this is a fad more than it is a cause. I am totally up for discussion on this issue if anyone should care to convince me of the bracelets complete merit, but I felt like talking about it, and its my blog so I do what I wanna.

4-day weekend coming up. Nice

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That had to be one of the best blogs I have ever read. Wow. =] My respect for you has heightened. Not that you need my respect, I think your words and actions give you enough already.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->