Sunday, February 05, 2006

Upon Clarification

For Kevin-

The my first response was not intended for you.


I believe that some cultures ascended to "the height of civilization" entirely through savagery. The Chinese, Japanese, Romans, Ottomans, British, French, and Americans are all guilty of this throughout history.

I do not mean to dehumanize a race, ethnicity, or religious group. I do mean to comment on those who have dehumanized themselves, by placing value on neither their own life, nor the lives of innocents. It is difficult to see the good in someone who thinks blowing up a crowd full of people is a good thing (and this goes for terrorists and our own military).

When I speak on the Islamic world, I do not mean everyone in it. That would be the same as viewing Bush's recent speech as representative of all Americans. (no thanks) I do however note a disturbing connection to the mass bombings, terror attacks, and suicide bombings, and Islamic groups. There is no state supported group called Christian Revenge, but several Middle Eastern Nations support Islamic Jihad. You would not see a Bishop crusading to kill all Arabs, and even the clergeyman here who preach against homosexuals or abortion (though no less abhorrent)are generally lower clergy, not the Pope and his Cardinals I have seen many imams and other supposed holy men speaking about rivers of blood, and crushing infidels. Regular public addresses in Iran are concluded each time with a state led chant of "Death to America".

To close, I suppose I could be construed as casting aspersions on all based on the actions of some. This is not my intent. I am aware that at the heart of Islam are many of the same virtues that Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and moral people in general hold dear. However, I do not feel wrong in critizing the Islamic world for allowing these atrocities to continue, in much the same way as I feel comfortable criticizing the entire American government for the actions of some. If you do nothing, you are almost as guilty as those who do harm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->