Thursday, July 21, 2005

Upon a Champion's Manner II

I just finished reading a column by Bill Simmons, ESPN's "The Sports Guy". He was writing about being a Sox fan this year, and how he can live in the grace period that follows winning a title. He continues to remind himself " 'we' won last year". I am wondering if this is the prevailing attitude of Red Sox fans, that this year doesn't matter, nor will the next several, because the Sox won the World Series last year.

Now I have spoken on the subject before, but I really find it laughable to find a bunch of "poor me" fans turn into arrogant defending champ fans. To excuse a performance that is every bit as poor as the Yankees first half (with far fewer injuries to blame it on) because a team won the title the year before is a poor excuse for fan-hood. I expect the best from my team each year, and would even if they had been miserable losers for 80 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->