Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Upon the Cessation of Nonsense and a Return to Form

Casting aside nonsense from my blog as chaff from wheat, lets return to normal.

An ardent Yankee fan such as I am will be forgiven for taking such pleasure and positive signs for something as simple as a split-squad exhibition game. To begin with, the Yankees were 0-4-1 this "Spring", and needed a victory just to officially start things off. Secondly, it has been my contention all winter that the Yankees must set the tone for this season by dismantling the Red Sox, early and often. I recognize that both squads were far from full-strength, and that these games are not in the same universe as the 4 critical games the Yankees should have won last year. However, a 9-2 scoreboard is like the alcohol wipe before the injection; not the cure, but clears the way for the healing to begin.

Jason Giambi (that's the same Jason Giambi whom I have predicted will have a return to All-Star form this season) hit one of his classic homeruns about 400 ft, and also sprayed a seeing-eye single between first and second. Hideki Matsui also homered for the Yankees, and Bubba Crosby produced some runs in an effort to secure a roster spot. However, the most important site for me was seeing Jason respond in a somewhat pressure situation; vs the Sox, being jeered constantly, as the focus of Boston hate with no Jeter/Rodriguez/Johnson.

A four-year title drought should have finally served as the awakening that all Yankee fandom needed, singaling that the "grace-period" for a three-peat has ended. Simply making it to the dance will not suffice, losing four straight with a 3-0 series lead will not suffice, anything but a title will not suffice. I intend to enjoy the 2005 Yankee season down to every ball and strike, and I will be up and down with this team. I'm riding with this squad, and I'll see you in the Canyon, some time 'round late October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->